Sunday, November 9, 2008

Climbing the Sears Tower

After 2,109 steps, I finally reached the top of the Sears Tower! Today I participated in Go Vertical Chicago, the world’s longest indoor stair climb. Over 2,000 people climbed up to the Sears Tower Skydeck on the 103rd floor to help raise money for cancer research. I dedicated my climb to my Uncle Tom, who died earlier this year from cancer. He was brave man who inspired many people! I love what his daughter (who is in medical school) said about the tiny, little, microscopic cells that were attacking her dad: "...I have started to realize a few other things about those cells. I used to think those tyrant cells were all powerful, but I am starting to figure out that there are a lot of things those cells cannot do. They cannot take my dad’s spirit. They cannot take the love out of this house. They cannot take away my memories. They cannot take away the 24 wonderful years I have had with my dad. They cannot. In fact, those little, clear buggers have tied this family together with a bond stronger than that of the blood brain barrier. They helped me realize how brave, how strong, how charming, how funny, how awesomely amazing my dad is and always has been. I have just been too caught up in things to realize."

It's amazing how many people I know who have recently battled with cancer...in March my high school assistant gymnastics coach (John Lies) died of pancreatic cancer. After 30 years of teaching in the Naperville School District, he leaves behind a trail of so many lives he has touched. He was an amazing teacher who loved his job and truly cared for his students. I also have stories of friends who have won their battle with cancer. Two of my dear friends from Ann Arbor, Dianne and Daphne, are now cancer free! I watched these ladies face this terrible disease with great courage and faith in God. They taught me so much about what is truly important in life.

It's exciting to know that today's event raised almost $400,000 to support cutting-edge cancer research by young scientists who dare to try to overcome a disease that will touch one in four Americans. I will end this entry with words of wisdom from my Uncle Tom: "Remember there isn’t anything better than family and friends. Wake up. Pray to God. Thank God for your family. Thank God for your friends. Keep your priorities. There is so much in life that is not important."


Click here for pictures.

1 comment:

Daphne Adams said...

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations on your tremendous accomplishment for such a worthy cause!!! I'm so sorry to learn of your Uncle Tom's passing. Praise the Lord for the wonderful memories you have of him. You have such a close, loving family!

Thanks for participating in the fundraiser to raise much-needed funds to fight this dreadful disease. I really like what your cousin said about what cancer canNOT do!!!

The pictures you took of your experience are great; the ones from the Observation Deck are awesome. I also like the one from the bottom of the tower looking up. Wow!

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.